Sunday, January 4, 2009

Have a Wondrous Year Ahead, Mom and Sis

Suzanne and I saw Mom and Su-Anne off at the airport today. After spending a month in the UK, mom and sis are back in the tropics and back to their normal life. It stuck me just before the duo headed to the security gates at the departure hall that we have no idea when will we gather together again. (Seriously, this is the first time I am not certain at all when will can I afford my next plane ticket.) Su-Anne suddenly turn all weepy during our airport-hugging-ritual and that got everyone all teary. Just then, it got me thinking...


Summary of our time spent together this holidays, our first Christmas together since the break of the millennium.
  • I guess this could be considered a family vacation. Even though we arrived and leave at different times, we still spent 12 days together.
  • Activities done as a family: Watched "The Drive of Life" together, camping out in front of the TV in the living room, took turns cooking and ate together, shopped in Glasgow, watched a ballet and a musical...
  • We are still very much the same, maybe certain characteristics are amplified. I hope to change for the better this year, and steer my perceptions of the family towards, only, the good.
  • Mom and I still need to work on communications. We just don't know how to talk to/with one another.
  • The 4-way shared conversations were on the low. Suzanne was in KL for a while and the trio had loads of common things to talk about. I felt rather left out, but I have only myself to blame for not being around or keeping myself updated.
  • I lost my cool once, surprisingly with Su-Anne. I am on vacation and thought that with family, I could do very well as I pleased. Apparently, I forgot that I had to always be careful and this time, incessant nags and disapproving tone of voice got to me. In her defense, it is an environmental factor, and yet my low-esteemed self was challenged. Ego and pride set off my temper.
  • I am very thankful for the generosity of Mom, Suzanne and Su-Anne for making this holiday a good one. After having a good talk with Rajiv before meeting them, I have readjusted the viewing lenses I have for my family. They are great in their special ways, and in difficult times, I appreciate them more than ever.
  • Note to self: Need to fugure out decent conversational topics to update my life with the family. The common justification I give myself is that I live in a very different world that I don't feel comfortable sharing about it even with family as it seems that every event is too self-centered whether it is a joy or a pain. Need to work on how to make life events not sound like a brag and yet enough that people would genuinely be interested enough to be concerned about it.
So, 12 days of season-induced-lackadaisical-gastronomical-adventure pictures proved that all of us are "well-rounded" and have enough stored up energy to tackle family business with the unique love we have for one another.

No comments: