Friday, January 9, 2009

Time-Space Capsule

Sci-fi has often wowed us with innovative ideas. Even though what appears in writing or on the TV screen sometimes do make us snicker in disbelief, but we cannot deny that such ideas are indeed real in our modern age. Square boxes that opens in one's palm are spoken to and the message is transmitted to another far away is the cell phones that we vitally use everyday... So, who says science fiction is just made up nonsense? It is the human experience that brings all these ideas to life!

The use of the time-space capsule is very real in my life. I find myself transported to a different time and place everytime I enter and leave this machine. Of recent years, my time and space travel has brought me to really fun and interesting places. I enter this containment unit, be occupied with some light entertainment or dormant in my sleep, when I step out into open air, it is a different environment altogether. Living a rather hectic life, riding on an airplane is when I truly feel that I am on the switchboard of my-so-called reality.

Life seems to go on to the very moment that I board that plane. Everything seems so normal for me that by now, I hardly feel the excitement of my trip/travel until I am riding in an aircraft. It is then my brain winds down and reboots itself.

I woke up to the sound of snow shovelling trucks outside instead of the daily news broadcasted over the radio. My beddings feel weird, the duvet is not heavy enough. The bed lumpy and the ceiling looks so very close. Suzanne is not next to me. Looking out the window, it is snowing.

I arrived back in Chicago yesterday after a rather pleasant journey. (Well, my transit at Heathrow was a little hectic and two hours seemed hardly enough to get through the tight security while getting to different terminals. I didn't even get the chance to shop for the stuff I wanted at duty free.) Leaving Suzanne's apartment at 5:30am, my flight out of Glasgow took off at 7:15, and I arrived at O'Hare, clearing immigration at 12:45pm Chicago time. I hardly felt the 11 hours of travel. Colleen picked me up at the airport, we grabbed lunch on our way back, I unpacked a little and decided to go to bed early, well... it was my normal time for bed in UK.

This morning I got up around 6am (about noon) and I am now taking the morning easy easing myself into my "now" environment before the semester starts officially next week. I will head off work soon and try to get some stuff done today... I miss my time in Glasgow. However, I am refreshed and motivated to tackle almost everything that is coming my way.

No comments: