Wednesday, December 17, 2008

This is No Joke

I am now blogging to you from Manchester Airport in the UK. Yep. My vacation officially starts now, but not without a story in itself to tell.

It was just my luck to be flying out of Chicago on a snow day. No, let me correct myself, a SNOW DAY! As much as I like winter and the snow, it is ridiculous how an afternoon of snow caused a normally 30 minutes drive to O'Hare to be a absurd 3 hour inch in traffic. Every mile seems like forever.

My flight was to leave at 5:35pm, after wrapping everything up on campus, Brian picked me up at 3. The snow started snowing around 10:30 and would only cease in the wee hours of the morning. We journeyed steadily in the snow but the back up of traffic started soon after we were on the highway. It was a LONG drive.

Looking at the weather outside, I reckon that flights would be delayed, if not canceled. What mattered more to me was arriving at the airport safe and see how things go from there. I arrived around 6:15pm but the flight was delayed till 6:40. The lady at the counter quickly checked me in, but was unable to check my luggage in. So, thank God I packed light. I pieced my backpack together and begged the security officer to let me pass. I battled through security check with my heavy bags, tore the paper bag that was holding my hand luggage (and other stuff) (Good thing I had thought of bringing my grocery tote bag). I was apologizing profusely and was thankful that only my lotion and facial wash had to be junked.

I raced to the gate with the heavy load of close to 14kg on my back and my original carry-on of maybe 5-7kg. (Hey, I am packing for 3 weeks! It is a huge accomplishment that I am not lugging around the regular travel bag on wheels with all my clothes and another pair of boots.) It was not an easy tasks as I had to keep switching my bag to different hands when they started turning blue from the weight. Again, Lady Luck must be bursting with laughter when my gate WAS the farthest from the security check point. This would be the second time that the entire flight was waiting for me. I was panting and undoubtedly embarrassed when I got to my seat. I had to dismantle my backpack again in order to stow everything away. The last time I remembered sweating like a pig in winter was on my ski trip. It took me close to another half hour just to catch my breath and calmed myself down. Luckily, the plane was waiting for the staff and pilot who was also stuck in traffic. Everyone sat and waited in the airplane. We finally took off at 7:35pm.

After doing the math, it would only be logical that I will arrive at Manchester for my transit late. My flight for Glasgow was scheduled at 8:35am local time, we arrived from Chicago at 9am. I made my way to the American Airlines office and they arranged me on the next available flight north that departs at 2:40pm. I might not have packed my address book and had to go through desperate measures to get Suzanne's mobile number as yes, silly me, I forgot to write it down. Hallelujah there is free wireless and I had my computer with me.

THUS, I have another 4 hours to burn till my 1 hour flight before I get to reunite with Suzanne. I repacked my stuff and left the minimum on my now 1 carry-on. I don't have my charger with me thus I think watching a movie on my MacBook would not be a good idea. Since I had a nap on the plane, I reckon I would do just fine until dinner tonight. It is now 4:4oam Chicago time... I will talk to you guys later. Pray that the next leg would be nothing but smooth sailing. Thank God I made it this far with my sanity intact.

No comments: