Sunday, August 3, 2008

Childlike Pleasures

Sundays are becoming like treats to me. I am happy since I am able to attend church on a regular basis. I simply love the sermons at Elgin First Baptist and am getting a hang of it being there. I also enjoy the once in a while escapades to worship with the Japanese congregation at North Shore Baptist Church downtown Chicago when the DeRolfs are on duty there. Today we were there as Chuck was delivering the message and administered the Holy Communion.

As always, we will stop by Mitsuwa on our way back. There we will get our fill of close to authentic Japanese food and being able to shop for Japanese groceries. It was indeed a treat for me as I had a 海鮮丼 (kaisendong-Japanese seafood rice bowl). The pieces of tuna, salmon roe, shrimp roe, squid, crab meat, and unagi were beautifully arranged and I could not help smiling to myself while I ate.

I did spend some time at the supermarket and only got some instant Japanese pasta sauces and どら焼き(dorayaki-Japanese pancakes sandwiching red beans). The Japanese summer festival was on with various seasonal food on promotion. I was staring longingly at the Japanese matcha snacks of various kind but did not buy them. I guess it is a delayed gratification drill and I don't have the extra cash to spend. *Hint hint! How nice would it be to receive a care package with all of my favorites. I am craving for some jellied/pudding snacks too.* (*^_^*)

We picked up Tanya from the airport and made our way back to Elgin. I was kind of nervous to see Tanya again, worrying that she might give me a hard time about my haircut since she specifically asked me not to cut my hair. "Suemae, you have beautiful hair. Please don't cut it." She saw me and liked the haircut. Phew! Not that it matters, but I just wish not to see her look of disappointment.

It was a good day. I took a nap after I got back and finished all my assigned reading. Now, I just have to focus on my lesson plans and teaching modules. Have a good week ahead!

No comments: