Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I am not ready to grow up

The whole figuring out my finances is crushing my brain. Maybe being independant is not such a good idea after all. But then again, if everything is settled for me or handed to me on a platter, I would never learn and will never cherish things that mean the most to me. So, being miserable helps? Fine, that is the overplay of words, but I am a firm believer that persecution/suffering makes one grow. "A flower that blooms in adversity is the most beautiful of all." Like a child, delayed gratification is a good discipline.

I guess it is good to revert to childlike-ness every now and then. I enjoy reading manga and watching anime, till this very day. Some of my favorites are NeoGenesis Evangelion, BLEACH, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, Yakitate Japan!, Nana, Honey and Clover, Paradise Kiss, etc. My all time favorite thus far is Inuyasha which I have completed all the anime and manga. I remember picking this up after identifying that Inuyasha was the latter work of the author who did Ranma 1/2, and that was almost 13 years ago! I started buying the comic books up to, maybe, volume 26 before I left for Japan. During my years in Japan, I occasionally caught the anime on TV or seen previews of the movies. It was my days in Macao when I watched the entire series online and coming to Chicago, read every manga about it during summer.

Hmm, in my defense I would say that although this past time might seem childish to some, rest assured that I am not a fanatic, akiba-kei, or otaku. I still enjoy the company of people, do go out and do stuff, and do not only sit in front of the computer all day. Cosplay and the obsession of merchandizes are not really my thing too. I guess I enjoy Japanese comics and animation to this day not just to refresh and improve on my Japanese as I used it for my Chinese in the past, but rather I like it as the lively theme songs pumps my mood, the stories always give life to hope and dreams, and most of all they are my retreat from reality. Furthermore, it gives insights to the groups of people I will be dealing with, students and young people.

Call me a geek or whatever you wish. I enjoy art in the media form of Japanese manga and animation, and there is nothing to be ashamed of.

No comments: