Tuesday, May 27, 2008

HOME

Where is your home? Who is your family? Who are you?

We cannot choose our birth. We cannot deny our past. Although our background tells of our story, it does not dictate how our future is to be. We are humans, born of freewill. Our choices define who were are. Who I am today relates strongly to my past. I am thankful for every circumstance for I will be less of who I am today without them. Nevertheless, answers to the question above is the identity I have chosen.

My history has its complexities. I do not claim that I am the only one that falls prey to the harshness of the fallen world, nor do I regard myself the survivor who stands victorious over others who shares similar conditions. I am just thankful for love and grace entered my life and I find peace and a new identity in the cross.

Humans are fallen beings and we all have our limitations. We are governed by physical laws but it is through the freewill and intrinsic mind given that we could find the truth, spread our wings, and soar free. By grace, I stumbled upon the truth and have since made the choice to live as a free person.

Someone once gave me a lecture on the difference between a house and a home. She imposed her distinction of both nouns. With little understanding then, I gave in and embraced that; but as I have grown older, I know I have lost my traditional understanding of home as I entered my adolescent years. As for the family, many vivid memories repaint a picture of my disappointments and distance. During my years in Japan, I learned something about the homeless. It was not because these people had no family, they just did not belong there. It was not limited to the marginalize. It was a choice. I was alone.

Grace is amazing. Numbers of people stepped into my life, and the weirdest thing of all was that they accepted me for who I am. I do not have to please them, and yet they shared they genuine concern for me. They were interested in my well-being and happiness that they are willing to spend time getting to know me. I found my place among God's people and soon my identity there too.

Do you feel lonely? There are times when I wonder whether loneliness refers to the lack of having someone physical beside me, and I do not deny that. Where is your home then? I have been moving around so much that I only look forward. Nevertheless, grace has weaved itself into my life and I have found unconditional love in God and reflected in his children. Biological threads of relation still exist, but I find it more fulfilling to love them with the understanding from above.
I no longer feel lonely, I have a family, and I have a home.

No comments: