Monday, May 5, 2008

Who Am I? Where Am I? What Am I?

Most people know of how hectic my life is at most times. My move to Chicago has been the most dramatic change of my life thus far. Just a month ago I was still in Macao drinking in the possibility that I will be heading off to America soon, quit my job on the 7th, packed up and left Macao on the 10th, running around KL getting the needed documentations for 2.5 weeks, spent a week in Japan, and arrived here in Elgin, Illinois about 52.5 hours before my first class. Yep, this will be the top of my crazy list for a while.

I got up around 5:3o this morning unable to get back to bed and decided to do some unpacking. I was done and prepared to meet Minga for our activities for the day around 9. We took a tour around campus by car and arrived at our first stop for the day, meeting the Director of Intercultural & Academic Integration, GL. It was great to finally put a face to the person who played a big role in bringing the bunny to the States. Even though I was really spaced out and ready to get back to bed, GL graciously explained to me what I will be doing at Judson University before I was ferried off by the Dean of the Education Department, KD.

Overwhelmed and disoriented, I found out the following: (1) I am a post bachelor certificate student (2) I will be starting my first class--Education Psychology, to get my teaching certification, possibly focusing on elementary education, in less than 36 hours (3) Ohio Residence Hall will be my home until the Fall Semester begins (4) And a whole bunch of other stuff that I could hardly remember.

In a blur, I then went over to the registration office, received my ID with a terrible picture of me taken on the spot, had lunch at the cafeteria (man! It was food heaven! I would say that the spread of food would equal a 4 star hotel spread in KL, and this is during summer when only 1/2 of the food serving stations are open), took a nap, went out to the bank and set up an account, had an early dinner at a pizza buffet, and shopped at Woodman's for food.

Lesson learned at the end of day 2, everything is super-sized in America. People consume a great amount of food for each meal and the supermarket is WAY bigger than what I am used to (just imagine shopping for food at a place 3 times the size of Carrefour, Wangsa Maju, and 6 times the size of Jusco supermarket at CNT). Thank goodness for jet lag, I was out like a light before 10 and slept soundly for the night.

No comments: