Sunday, December 2, 2007

1st Advent Sunday

It was a peaceful and relaxing Sunday, one that is really rare. I was at church early to help out with Sunday School as most of my Sundays. However, on my way to class, I was greeted by Minami and her daughter, Hanukkah, at the stairs. Hanukkah, as cute as she always is, invited for me to come for the Evening Praise Service (which happens once a month that I hardly go to). I could not resist and said yes. After hanging out with the high school kids, we moved on to have a wonderful 1st Advent Sunday worship in the sanctuary. The service was a start to the few music filled Sundays to come. This week we enjoyed the choir singing the Magnificat and next week we will have a special presentation of a hand bells choir.

"The Magnificat--taken from Luke 1:46-55 -- is an outpouring of praise, joy and trust in God by Mary, upon learning that she is to give birth to the Messiah. It is one of the most familiar texts of the Bible, and almost always included in the Advent lectionary. The Magnificat was composed in 1990. While [John] Rutter has followed the standard musical "form" which follows the text, he has included a particularly beautiful 15th cetury English poem--the only part sung in English." The TUC choir sang in Latin and it was wonderful just to enjoy the music while reflecting on the verses from the Bible.

After lunch with Baileyna, I went back for a short nap before returning to church to fulfil my word given to an adorable child. I soon found out that Hannukah was involved in a special Christmas presentation. A church member made a children's picture story book about a girl named ひかりこ (child of light) inspired by Hannukah. It was indeed heart-warming to see how a cute girl with a Jewish name that coincides with their cultural celebration of the Festival of Lights, helped the author with the making of this book in honor of the author's sister. Hannukah was the voice of the main character, and she did a great job reading it aloud at a very young of 8 (I think). Soon after the lovely presentation, a gospel group presented a few Christmas carols that were very uplifting. Thanks to Hannukah, I did enjoy a wonderful Sunday.

This little girl (she is so cute I would love you to meet her) is very sweet and intriguing. Now I am left smiling as I ponder on God is able touch me (and others too) through this cute girl with beautiful curly locks. Her dad is American Caucasian and her mom is Japanese Hawaiian. She is just adorable--point proven that children of a diverse bloodline are hybrids in having better looks and brains. (Aww, my biological clock is ticking fast now... )

Anyways, wherever you are I hope you are enjoying the very best of the season too!

1 comment:

chewkinyan said...

Hey Suemae.. haven't seen you online for a bit. Hopethat all is well.. =) Any updates on things? Contact me.. somehow! =D