Sunday, December 2, 2007

Let The Advent Season Begin!

The Christmas spirit and mood is slowly picking up in me. Even though I will be moving to Macao and spending the holidays in a foreign land on my own, I will not let it damped my heart as Christmas is never about me.

After my weekly grammar lesson held at 7am this week, I hung out at the mall for a while before heading back to school for lunch. I was lucky to be able to meet Sang and we spent time catching up before I met up with the others at the Dining Hall. More warm fellowship was spent with my buddies before I made a move back to Tokyo in the afternoon.

I stepped into church past 3 and was greeted by a few familiar faces. The lobby was filled with boxes of Christmas decoration. I quickly put my bags into the locker and join the merry activities of setting up Christmas trees for the lobby. There was joy and laughter as we tried to figure out parts and pieces of the Christmas trees that were store in the boxes. We had a ball of a time setting up the tree for the main entrance as we were utterly confused with the pieces. We were soon joking about a hybrid Christmas tree with the different length of pine needles from two sets of Christmas trees. We tried using the set with longer needles but only managed to set up a sad tree that resembles Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. However, with everyone's help, we managed to set up a beautiful tree that now stands welcoming all to Tokyo Union Church.

We shared the advent preparation in with groups helping out with the decorations, baking cookies in the kitchen, and the kids making crafts. Some girls from the high school class was a great bundle of joy as they sang and laughed behind the nativity scene in front of the church. They were waving at everyone who passed by hoping that some will wave back. After everything was done, we had a small worship service with songs and scripture reading. We then moved to have a dinner of chili and fries as we enjoyed a simple slide show of "before and after" photos that were taken prior and after the decorating. The main sanctuary looked best!

Even though I was tired and all I wanted was to return to my apartment to sleep, I quickly put my stuff down and made my way out to Jiyougaoka to meet Jewel and Ayako. It was a good opportunity to catch up with good friends over dinner. We enjoyed a good meal of "soup curry" (Japanese fusion food) and continued the wonderful evening by having cakes and drinks in a cozy cafe. Although I found the evening a little pricey, but I guess one can not put a price to a great evening.

The company and activities of the day did cheer me up a lot. I love my weekends.
Happy December!

No comments: