Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Macao Move

Today is THE day. Filled with mixed emotions, this bunny gathered up all she had (literally) and started her journey to Macao.

After preparing myself, I spent a cuppa with Ching Boi and Baileyna before making it to the office to bid my farewells to Mori-san. I was then off to the station for brunch with お母さん and had a great time together. Even though I was tired and lost my appetite, our first and last Starbucks together was nothing but meaningful. I am so going to miss her and everything close to me in Japan.

Grabbing my bags and drinking in my last moments at the place where I know as home for 4 years in the past, I boarded the bus headed for the airport. Sunil met us at the station and we shared hugs and last minute teases. I could not help but think to myself that everytime I bid farewell to loved ones in Japan, it has never really felt like it was the end. It has always been more like a "see you around" than a solid "goodbye." (Warm smiles) I have no idea when I will be back, but deep down inside, I know for sure we will be with each other again.

I arrived at the airport about an hour later, went to the collection center for my suitcase and moved to the check-in counter. Thank God for the extremely nice officer to did not charge me anything. (Phew!) I then did my final run through of my carry-on(s) and started on my blog entry as I waited for 2 hours until the plane was ready for boarding.

The flight was pleasant and I forced myself to eat for I needed the strength for the upcoming journey. After what felt like a less than 5 hour flight, the plane landed at Hong Kong International Airport earlier than I expected. With the extra allowance in time, I decided to switch my travelling plans of taking a ferry from the airport to taking one from the downtown ferry terminal to avoid the 3 hour wait. I wondered whether it was a smart idea.

I lugged my huge suitcase and heavy carry-on(s) onto the express train that leaves the airport to downtown Hong Kong. The ride lasted about half hour and I then jumped on a cab to the ferry terminal. Since Hong Kong is not totally English friendly, I was left to tackle my luggage and the ferry by myself with waiting periods that could be avoided. Nevertheless, I was on the ferry to Macao and arrived an hour earlier than planned. I was on a cab (again) and found my way to my hotel arriving around 10:45pm local time. Within 8 hours, I have been through 4 immigration check points, and have been on different modes of transportation via land, air, and sea.

As soon as I stepped out for the ferry terminal at Macao, my image of Macao hit me exactly the way I imagined it. Since I was totally exhausted, I did not like whatever I was facing at all. The air stank of a polluted dock, humidity and haze burdened the air causing me to find difficulty in breathing. The cab driver was on the other polar of service standards in comparison to those in Japan. HE MADE ME LOAD ALL MY LUGGAGE BY MYSELF!!! He was rude and drove around with the windows open. Soon, I was sneezing and was in need for an oxygen mask. Thank God the night was saved by the beautiful hotel room at that awaits me.

So, Round 1 between Macao and the bunny. Since I was tired, I decided not to put the points for Macao in the negative. Thank you for all your prayers, I arrived safe with less hassle than when I expected for the worst. A new chapter begins.

No comments: