Saturday, December 8, 2007

Home for Christmas

If you feel comfortable to sleep in the living room, you are pretty much at home.

I woke up in the lazy fashion of a weekend this Friday morning and drank in the moment where there is nothing I am obliged to do for the day. Sleeping in the living room in the コタツ ("kotatsu"-table with heating that has covers in between the base of the table and the legs to trap the warm air, warming the bottom torso and legs when one sits in it on the floor) was warm and cozy. I was under the covers happy that it would be a day highlighted with closeness and familiarity. It was Christmas day at TCU. (Well, technically it was not, but since it is the last day of the exams and the semester, and it is the day when TCU holds their Christmas worship/chapel followed by the Christmas party and carolling, it was pretty much like TCU Christmas day to me.)

For after a long time now, I was able to enjoy time as it is. I took all the time I needed to prepare without haste, did a little shopping around the station area, and had a wonderful, fun and enjoyable lunch date. I then made my way back to school, stopping on the way to get some cake, as I was meeting Motoko for tea at her room. We talked and laughed and Megu-chan joined us for a while until I had to be at Chapel. I saw Ryou-chan a little flustered in the morning and soon found out that she was the chairperson of the TCU Christmas Committee. She asked me whether I knew anyone who was able to do interpretation for the Christmas Chapel as those who normally are on Chapel duty were either busy with tests or unavailable for the day. It has been a while since I did any simultaneous interpretation but offered to help her if she could not find anyone. So, instead of sitting in the front with everyone else, I sat in the cold little room behind the stage interpreting. Although it was not perfect due to the long absence of practice, I was told that I did better than I thought. Sure wished that George Nya and Ekpangi were there. They enjoyed listening to my chapel interpretations, but I was just as happy to know that Boinu, Hawaji-imam liked listening to my kind of Japanese-English interpretation of chapel.

After chapel was over, I managed to exchange greetings with Tenda-sensei who was leading the choir for the Christmas Cantata composed by him earlier. It was beautiful as usual. I will sure hate to see him go as I heard that he is planning for a second retirement. I caught Seth on my way out and we walked to the Dining Hall together catching up, finally, after my 5 months being in Japan. We soon brought each other up to date as I caught a few presentations by the students and faculty members at the TCU Christmas party. 皆元気だね~

I left the merry party making my way to the Kobayashis'. I knew that help would be appreciated and the Christmas mood came surging as I helped お母さん with preparations for the carolling party. (Yup, just like every Christmas I remembered whether it is back in Malaysia with my family, alone but was invited to Mrs. Chew's, and other occasions... Warm smiles!) It was quite an evening as it was my first time ever cutting up avocados, busying myself with however I can help around お父さん and お母さん, I went out and joined the students singing carols in the cold, we then congregated in the warm living room, and the preparations for dinner continued with the joyful sounds of music and carols from the group... Singing, cooking, feasting, great conversation with close friends, what more can one ask for Christmas? Maybe there is! (Wide grins.)

The evening was made perfect with a nice walk under the stars. And after a close to grrreat day, I crawled back into the コタツ and was out like a light. Perrrrrr-fect!
Merry Christmas!

No comments: