Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

The focus of the season is in celebration of the gift of love through the coming of Christ. And through this ultimate gift, many Christmas miracles that reflects of such love in humanity weave themselves into wonderful Christmas stories in the commercial and popular sense too. Being alone over here, I do not expect any gifts or Christmas highlights apart from those given to me in Japan.

However, I have received a good number of gift on Christmas Day, both of the physical and sentimental in nature. I met a new friend for breakfast. It was a breath of fresh air in many sense and I truly enjoyed the conversations shared. I was also given a present when I least expected. I am utterly grateful that a stranger decided to share a day off on Christmas buying me breakfast and giving me the company and comfort of a friend. Bless his heart.

I was late for the Christmas service at Morrison Chapel only because I have messed up the time. I was there for communion and shared the coffee hour. After that, I was off to my Christmas lunch. Since I had nowhere to go, I offered to help with the preparations. I was soon led by Brian and Chris(tine) to their wonderful home. This English couple has moved to Hong Kong years ago and retired to Macao. Their apartment was originally two units and now is one with two wings, East and West, with maybe rooms you can find in an English mansion: Living room, listening room, library, study, bedrooms, and an entertaining room/ballroom on the floor upstairs.

The kitchen was a battle zone as temperature rose with hiccups and accidents. There were a few awkward moments when I wondered was it a good idea for me to be there, after all, I do not know these people too well. But all was good when lunch was finally served. We had a good company of guests. Conversations were contributed by academics, the experienced of the medical and the electrical engineering field. We had turkey and popped Christmas crackers, put on Christmas party hats and shared a flaming Christmas cake! All the food and drinks lulled me to sleep soon after the 2 hour lunch was over. Just before I took my leave, we did presents. Even though I only prepared something for the host, I received gifts from almost all the guests. Hugs and kisses went around and the occasion was nothing but merry.

I made my way back to my apartment after sundown. I was telling myself that I need a slap on the wrist for not bringing a jacket with me. Even though it is not as cold as Japan, but I reckon it was around 15 degrees or less. I returned to my empty apartment, put on some carols and snuggled up under the sheets with my Christmas book, a novel of 3 stories from Richard Paul Evans. The night was peaceful and quiet.

What is Christmas to me, especially one when I am truly away in a foreign land? The joy of the season and celebration were only the memories that I have from the last few weeks in Japan. Trying hard to get accustomed to Macao, I was telling myself that I will be busy trying to get things rolling this week. Swell with mixed feelings, I am grateful that this day took me away from Macao. The people met and time shared with them was my Christmas gift, my Christmas miracle that will help me brave the new life I have over here.

God bless everybody!

No comments: