Friday, November 30, 2007

Messiah Concert 2007

Christmas has always been a time of celebration for me since I started attending Sunday School as a girl; however, it was only in 2002 that I became aware of the advent season in the church calender. It was by being a part of TCU and attending church in Japan that I was exposed to this wonderful time of waiting in anticipation for the celebration of the birth of Jesus. Ever since then, my preparation for the Christmas season has always been one waiting in music and reflection.

TCI holds the Messiah Concert annually. I remember that my final year singing for this concert was the 20th anniversary of it being held. Last Friday, taking the opportunity of my days left in Japan, I made my way to my Alma mater to enjoy the good ol' days once more.

It is always great to be there. The recent happenings and the approach of the Christmas season has brought out the touchy-feely side of me, and I started to become more sensitive to every item that carries memory of any sort. Walking through the school grounds allowed me to reflect on how my daily life on campus used to be, sitting at the dinning hall reminds me of all the great time my school mates and I had during meals, etc. My heart went "Aww..." when I walked past the administrative building and saw the lamp my fellow classmates and I presented TCU in appreciation during our graduation emitting a warm glow in the foyer.

The concert was beautiful as always. Many familiar faces were on the stage and I was so proud when a close friend in every aspect of my student life was the soprano soloist. I have seen her blossom and mature from her days of being a TCU student and furthering her passion for music as a TCTS student. Now, graduated, she stood gracefully on stage adorned in a fabulous turqiose dress and her voice was simply BEAUTIFUL! Tenda-sensei conducted the choir and orchestra passionately. I enjoyed the concert by singing from my seat on the pews. It is amazing that after all these while, I am still able to sing my parts in key without a book before me.

It was a wonderful evening as I also managed to catch up with the ever loving and caring faculty and staff members of TCI. Mori-san was sweet as ever as I brought her up to date with what is happening on my side. She presented me with my first Christmas present with a touching note to warm up my Christmas in Macao. Sugitani-sensei was cheerful as usual and I did spend some time talking to お父さんandお母さん. The evening was close to perfect.

The Messiah concert has often put the songs Handel wrote in my heart and I will be singing them for the days to come until Christmas. Now I know that my life at TCU has conditioned my soul for the seasons that wherever I am I will still be able to feel the warmth and closeness of everything that means so much to me.

No comments: