Thursday, November 8, 2007

MONEY MATTERS

I need a hard slap on the wrist! "Chaos" can be used to describe my situation right now. Apart from the issue of my landing status, it seems like I have lost control in time and money management.

Good time management is often reflected in my daily routine and the results can be seen physically. With good sleep I look fresh and sharp for the job; with a disciplined routine my physical appearance and the condition of my apartment would be more attractive. Of recently I think there are times when I look like drag-queen or a man, and my apartment... Man! It needs cleaning, and I need to sort out my laundry and closet.

Actually, the slap on the wrist and adding 10 whips with a wet noodle applies to my money management of late. I am receiving a healthy allowance which allows me to save for my future (if I plan and spend wisely). I was on a strict budget until my last trip back at the end of September. Although it is only wise to be well prepared, however, I took a little too much out of my savings for the short time I was back. When I returned to Japan, the full swing of autumn came and I really wanted to go shopping. Then, events lined up over the past few weeks and thus, I have been spending a little over my budget.

I am not complaining. I guess I have to be a little more strict on my spending habits. I am given the opportunity to live in Setgaya-ku, the wealthy district of Tokyo. Everything here is more expensive than everywhere else. Seriously, after being a student here for 4 years, I still live like a student. The prices at the local supermarket are more expensive than what I was used to in Chiba. Having lunch at work is equally expensive as we are located right at the hub of the office district. It is time to exercise smart spending.

If I plan to save JPY X by the end of the year, it will definitely not work. I have to readjust the budget to what I have spent of late. Since I have no idea how long will I be in my current condition, I guess it is only wise if I save as much as I can for my future. I had better limit my food intake to what is necessary and shopping to the vitals. Even by saying that, I need to get some toiletries and groceries....

Man! I am broke... So, the next time you see me spending money frivolously, do shake that finger and show that frown.

No comments: