Wednesday, November 7, 2007

COPS!!! (Really? It would be the 2nd time in my whole life since any authorities asked me for an ID check)

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

The strangest thing happened during my lunch hour today.
Suyati and I went out for lunch today, so we had Korean food as it was a filling and economical choice. My new favorite lunch spot is at this underground Korean restaurant near Akasaka-Mitsuke Station. The lunch menu is only 500yen after 1pm. Not bad, eh?

Anyways, while we were walking back, we were stopped by 6 men in plain clothes. "Excuse me, do you have your ID?" I was shocked, and then the oldest looking of the group asked me in Japanese whether I was a Japanese national. I honestly answered no. He then continued in Japanese asking whether I had any documents with me. I answered "No. I am currently on training at my company and do not have or carry any of them since I am on my lunch break." He then asked me who do I work for. After telling them, the guy just briefly acknowlegded and move on to ask "How about her?" I answered that Suyati was also on training. However, Suyati had her passport with her and was very coorperative. After looking at her passport, the 6 men thanked us and sent us on our way. How strange!

Having friends who are not too happy with how the Japanese government carry out their checks on foreigners, I was once told that if anyone stops me asking for my documents, I have the right not to show them. Even if I had to, I do not have to pass the documents to them. Returning to the office, I was told that we should have been careful for there are cases where people just wanted to steal one's purse since he or she keeps the documents in it. Since they were in plain clothes, we should have told them that we would only do so if we were at a police box. But seriously, 6 men in plain clothes surrounding 2 helpless young women? You have got to be kidding me.

After relating it to a friend, he mentioned that such checks have been going on quite often of late. The Japanese government also plans to take finger prints and run retina scans for ALL foreigners at airports from November 19. Paranoia? Who knows? But it is sure going to piss off many.

Hmm, maybe having too much Korean food might not be a good thing. I had Korean food at the same restaurant yesterday. Or, maybe I was bitching too loud about my visa status in English. The English would have been a dead give away. WT*? I guess I should really keep my thoughts to myself and not discuss personal matters in public THAT often. Just shut up, woman! I know I could have easily passed off as a Japanese anyday.

No comments: