Thursday, November 15, 2007

Disgrace to the Internet Community

It is because of people like you the Internet gets a bad name!

We thank the Internet today for making the world smaller and accessible. Decades ago, we would never imagine that it is possible to be communicating with people who are scattered across the world instantly in our living rooms. Long hours at the office are bearable as we are able to have entertaining breaks. Our human network has grown through portals such as MSN, Yahoo, etc.

However, since the days of ICQ there are some who misuses the Internet that causes many to dislike chatting, such as yours truly. There are creeps out there who randomly search for people to piss off everyday. I, personally, only use chat programs such as MSN and Skype to communicate with friends and family. Now, since I work in a company that owns an offshore office, we use Skype to link all office members and enable our clients to contact us at top speed during our online hours. Only in rare cases, I would actually answer to the call of a stranger.

Of recent years, I tend to open up a little and do give some opportunities for interesting yet decent people to contact me. I enjoy the diversity in language and culture since my ACTS-es days, and would like to make new friends and improve my language abilities.

BUT... Today, at work, there was this twit who should be banned from using the Internet forever. (I apologize for the name calling but this guy really ticked me off, and you know that guys do not tick me off easily.) First, he made an assumption that I was in a bad mood when I had no idea what he was talking about. He used some weird English greeting that made no sense. (Well, I am very particular about communicating in any form of language. I am learning and hope that I get to understand what others are trying to say. Sometimes, I do tend to be a little strict with a language that I have the upper hand. Red neck in the making?) And then, he moved on to pick on my ethnicity and nationality. He called me a "stupid little alien"! After politely telling him that I thought what he said was rather rude, he told me to "F*ck off!" Appalling, is it not? It is because of people like such who discourages others to have faith in making new friends online. It also reflects badly on the country and community this person is from.

So, dear friends of the Internet community, I implore you to educate anyone you know the manners and etiquette for Internet use for the sake of its current and future users. We enjoy the diversity of languages used on the Internet, but foul language in any tongue should be reprimanded.

No comments: