Tuesday, November 6, 2007

HOW RUDE!!!

He may look like an idiot, and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.

Something bizarre happened on Sunday. It was really strange and I was dumbfounded. I have been in Japan for more than 4 years now, and I hardly ever seen people asking for money on the streets. There are those who pass flyers and advertisements, those who will ask for corporation in taking surveys or blood drives, and those who just want you to visit their store. On Sunday, Sunil and I were crossing the Olympic Memorial Bridge in front of MeiJi Shrine. (It is the place where the manga community or "Funny Retro Extravagant Amusing Kids" congregate at Harajuku.) A Canadian guy walked up to us and started talking to Sunil, asking him for a donation to help his organization and their cause. It was an organization that focuses on reaching out to the young people of Japan: those in correction centers, out on the street, etc. Sunil, being the kind person he is (Well, he is kind enough to keep accepting flyers from JWs almost every Sunday for like the past 3 months now), listened and did make a donation.

Here is where it gets pretty bizarre...

From my observation, the people from this group approached mainly foreigners. Sunil was in his weekend casual wear, but he was approached by them. The Canadian guy only spoke to Sunil even though I was standing right next to Sunil, two feet away from the guy, and facing him. He talked to Sunil for maybe 3-5 minutes, but did not say a word to me; not even a "hello." So, the following weird conclusions popped into my head.

(1) These people aim for the rich.

(2) Since Sunil is not dressed looking like a rich guy, a Japanese girlfriend/date/company next to him shows that he is rich to some extent.

(3) They don't want to talk to me because I am Japanese.

(4) Maybe, I have that look on me that read "Don't ask me for money. I am a mean b*#@h who doesn't care." Who knows?

I am pretty bothered by it for I wonder does the whole incident have anything to do with the first impression I give others... The only time when I remembered a similar awkward moment as such happened was 4 years ago when I broke up with K. We were just right in front of each other but he spoke to a common friend who was standing right next to me but did not say even a word to me. I am shocked, a little appalled, and I thought it was simply rude then, and now.

What killed social etiquette? I thought that he was just an idiot. I apologize if it sounds harsh, but really, he was an idiot!

No comments: