Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

Happy 4th of July!

What does this day mean to me? Another day to my not-really-summer summer holidays? Instead of being a total sloth to a day that could mean little to me, I marched in the Elgin's 4th of July Parade with Judson University. I got up at 6 to prepare (a difficult task indeed as I couldn't sleep till about 3am) and made my way to the meeting place with KP and LK. We were wearing Judson Ts and was to hand out candy with the students, staff, faculty, and the alumni. Plans changed and KP, LK, and I ended up holding the banner as we walked down Douglas Avenue. It was really weird for me as I feel so self conscious walking down a street packed with people. Keeping the chin up, smiles, and nervous laughter helped me get through the morning.

It was pretty interesting to look at the beautiful houses that were dressed up for the occasion. Housing on the street the parade procession had people sitting on the sidewalk and some event hosted cook-outs right on the front porch. There were floats, bands, horses, big men on mini bikes, and the whole shindig. I enjoyed the walk, sights, smells, and people cheering for the university.

Lesson for the day: I will not chew gum again.
I was chewing a piece of gum handed to me by a kid of a faculty member. While I was walking down the parade route and suddenly I felt that I am chewing gritty gum. The filling to my left molar came off!!! I started to get paranoid and started feeling the damage with my tongue. Although it did not hurt, but the thought of needing to go to the dentist sent shivers down my spine. I asked KP and she told me to ready myself to part with approximately USD 200. WTH???! She mentioned that just visiting the dentist for a check up cost USD 150. Great just great... where am I going to get the money since I do not have any income? I seriously need to get my act together. Please pray as I go around asking for jobs on Monday will be fruitful. I seriously do not want the exposed molar to turn into something I need a root canal job done later. Don't like trips to the dentist, don't think I will look forward to it at all.

After crashing on the bed sleeping for another 5 hours, I got up and rot in front of the TV. Since there is no specific cook outs or parties to attend today, I might possibly end my first 4th of July watching the fireworks later. Every blast of color in the air would be followed by earnest prayers and hopes that this month would be fruitful.

No comments: