Friday, July 25, 2008

What Would You Do When Everything Seems To Go Wrong?

"Overwhelming" seems to be a word used a little too often of late. The other not so polite corresponding expression would be "It sucks." I seem to have a little too much on my plate (but hey, what's new?), and it is absolutely annoying when I could not get things done. What would you do? Vent? Complain? Cry? Diminish into silence, bitterness, and depression? I know well enough that I should find peace and composure in prayer, but how often do I seek that as my first option? I will whine and ramble on and on about things, in hope that someone would come rescue me in offering assistance in anyway possible. I know it sounds sad. I am so used to getting things done, but hey, complaining still plays a vital role as it is a form of self-lecture and reminder that I am still human.

Thus please find an update to my life as listed.
(It is obvious why I have not been blogging for a while now.)

1. Teaching Methods for Social Science. This course started on July 14. Ever since the first day and every class I had since, blood seems to drain out of my face with the course work and high expectations of the teacher. I guess people back home can relate this to "Alam dan Manusia" classes we had in primary school. Yeah, so I am supposed to possess a significant understanding of American history, economy, geography, political studies, anthropology, and sociology from kindergarten to Grade 9. That is a whole lot of reading on my own. The classes are fun and interesting as I am exposed to many different children's literature, but man! The course work is a bg challenge. I scored my first 6/10 on a paper in the past 6 years of my life, and I lost those points based on grammar mistakes. (Now, please don't give me a hard time saying that I do not need to learn up my grammar, or that my English is good.)

2. Securing a social security number. Since 9/11 the procedure for international students to obtain a social security number has been made complicated. With an F-1 visa status, the student can only work on campus, and upon securing a job, initial paperwork can only be started to get a social security number. Getting a SS# is like your IC back home. It is an official identification for your existence. I need one to be able to register for a state required examination to be officially accepted into my program, get a driving license, etc. Since I have yet to find a job= no SS# -> unable to make it for the registration deadline...

3. Get a job. This relates to the above and the issue of money. Yay! I need to start paying tuition fees soon! (>_<)

4. Housing. Summer is almost over and the semester starts next month. I am supposed to move out of Ohio Residence Hall by August 3, but since the Bandits' are still occupying Volkman Hall, I am only able to move that very weekend before classes start. Volkman rooms are similar to those of an apartment and I was super excited to move in as soon as possible, not only to set up but also to settle down with my new roomies while getting a grove before the madness of the new semester and orientation week begins.

5. Getting around. I need to get out to get real. I need transportation of any sort. I rather run errands according to my own convenience than rely on others. They are busy and I wish not to impose.

6. Mood swings. This has caused me to be all weird again with crazy sleep hours and getting up past noon. My work and daily efficiency level has been thrown way off chart. Social skills and sanity level are affected to some degree.

7. Skype is still out. Grrr...

Thus, I would deeply appreciate it if you would pray for me. I sure wouldn't mind a few care packages sent this way. Phone calls and nice emails would work too. In the meantime, I will try not to sigh too much and pull myself together. I know so well that what I am going through right now is like an annoying mosquito almost impossible to kill. I have been in worse situations. I just need to focus on the important and keep swimming.

3 comments:

Eric said...

If you're having so much trouble with grammatical mistakes, I can help you out there. I used to proofread and edit papers for students as a job. Just let me know.

As for everything else, good luck. I'll be praying for ya.

suemae said...

Thanks, babes. You are sweet as always.

lyn said...

breathe breathe breathe...