Friday, September 19, 2008

Children's Literature

I have found my oasis for the crazy semester. This is the only class I honestly like and would actually put the extra effort to do well. The content of the class is fascinating in itself, but I guess it is the professor who makes the difference. No matter how tired or distracted I am with life, just sitting in this class for the past 3 weeks have calmed me down.

There are a few things about the professor that draws my attention.

1. His voice. He speaks clearly at a soothing pitch. He reads to us with enthusiasm and one can get lost in the story with his accent and life brougth to each character. We are reading Because of Winn Dixie and other picture books in class and I enjoy every minute of it. The other professor on my list to have mesmerized me by voice and diction was Inoue-sensei.

2. His passion for his work. I have always enjoyed children's books, especially the illustrated ones. Being in this class has given me the exposure to the many wonderful books out there that communicates life. Being in class is like being immersed into the sea of ideals transcended through writing. He has high expectations and demands professional standards in dealing with literature. I am inspired to give my best in the picture book read-aloud, being reading buddy to a student of the local school, and writing my own children's story (that has the opportunity to be picked, illustrated by the media arts students, and published).

3. His piercing eye-contact. There are a handful of people in my life who has the ability to pierce right through my soul when we share eye-contact while speaking with each other. It penetrates through everything, my raw self is exposed, and often I had to refrain my tears from betraying my usual facade. This professor has shared the spot with my mentor and my pastor. They have enough years and experience to look at the very nature of God's creation and love them as commanded. The cold steel of my spine melts and is readily strengthed by the influence of these great people.

"You have said nothing in class again today, Suemae. Is everything ok?" "You are participating and engaging in class. You have many great comments in your group discussion." "Please try to speak out in class. I am trying to raise the bar." I guess I did something right when I was called to answer a question during my first week of class. My choice to be an observer in my 2nd class, continued in the 3rd might be hindering my potential. Ok, time for my voice to be heard. I would go the extra mile. I would breakout of my comfort zone and hopefully say something good.

No comments: