Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chinatown Lunch

The International Student Office organized a trip to Chinatown today. Thinking that it would be an opportunity to mingle with the international students and participate in school activities once in a while, I decided to join them (thinking that it would be an opportunity to freeload on a trip downtown. We were treated to lunch, but the rest of the traveling cost was from our pocket).

It was a LONG day and I found out 2 things about myself. (1) I do not function well in crowds. It is not because I am intimidated, or that I am antisocial on purpose. I just have no interest to be best friends with everyone and I seriously don't care what they think about me. I do portray a mean and arrogant front, but I always participate in conversations in the company of 3 or less.

(2) My expectations for organization is very high, made worse with my experiences and 'training' in the Japanese setting. When trips are organized, the organizers should be able to communicate important information like costs beforehand, knows how to get to the place, made reservations, and at least have a tentative agenda.

Lunch was served at the Three Happiness Restaurant. It was by far the most awful Chinese cuisine I had in America. I am thankful for the treat, but my taste palate has been significantly ruined.
**************************
Nevertheless, I had my own kind of fun after lunch. I left the crowd of 30 and went shopping on my own on State St. It has been a LONG time since I have been 'shopping.' If memory serves me right, this is the 2nd time this whole year that I was actually shopping for my pleasure. I spent time looking through stores allowing myself to find something I like. I spent close to 4 hours doing just that and had a good harvest for a fashionable autumn and winter. I had to stop myself, or should I just went on and get a dress and skirt too? After all, this was my treat to myself. Okay, I might be giving myself a little too many treats. But look on the bright side, I might not have to go shopping for the next few months apart from a down jacket/coat and possibly that skirt from GAP. (itchy hands...... SLAP!) I found out another thing about myself, I am settled in when I am able to walk around the city, comfortably hitting places I want to go, on my own.

No comments: