Saturday, January 19, 2008

Another Annoying Weekend? Not if I Can Help It.

Everyday I try to learn something new. Almost everyday I am further amazed by the people culture that surrounds me. This week I am exposed to the "professionalism" of this place.

I do give credit to people who continuously try to better themselves. I ordered some items from an IKEA vendor last week and by the end of our correspondence, he was sure that I will be able to collect my stuff on Friday. I made the trip to their office at the designated day, but left empty handed as the stock did arrive but was not ready for collection. Well, giving the benefit of doubt, I would say that my assumption that a vendor for a well known consumer brand was overestimated, and I should have called before hand.

Then, this morning, I had another episode with the contractor. His worker was a good man; friendly and cheerful. The appointment made with him to complete whatever needs to be done was at 9:30 this morning. After only 4 hours of sleep due to the restless night before, I got up and started preparing myself for the day, 10 minutes before the scheduled time. As I waited for them, I just started doing my weekly cleaning and prepared for the small home party I will be throwing for my workmates this evening. The worker arrived around 11, and the contractor/foreman was nowhere to be seen until about 12:30! The worker said that he arrived first to check whether I was at home. (Imagine that!) At some point after the worker arrived (maybe 30-45 minutes), a phone call came the worker started busying himself with getting stuff from downstairs, and finally, he was the only one who started working. The foreman waltz in with a pane of glass, made some comments to the worker and is nowhere to be seen until the whole job was done. GREAT! Well, at least they are done and I hope there are no more of such episodes with them in the future.

Let us not talk about them anymore as I really do not want my weekend to be spoiled or give them too much lime light for my dinner conversation tonight. I would rather speak of something of a more uplifting spirit. I wish to use this opportunity to give credit to my friends who have outdone themselves of late. I am nothing but happy and proud of them, and continue to wish them the best.

Of my graduation class, one is living his dreams and happily married, and 2 more will be wed this year to wonderful people God blessed them with. My seniors are doing fantabulous too with presenting papers at universities, pursuing their masters degree, and another having the success of his work featured on CNN. Buddies back home are on the road filled with adventure in becoming pilots and flight attendants. The good news seem to never end. I have also found out that a person who I believe would have a better relationship as friends has finally received a promotion, pay raise, and a recognition that fits her work. Be it material successes or personal glory and gratification, cheers to you! I am beaming for you.

I reckon many of you worry for me about my stresses; however, let me assure you that I have enough wonderful memories in this little head of mine that keeps me smiling to myself, even at the most peculiar moment. I guess that is love and joy that comes truly from within, something that I will be invincible to the lousiest situation.

No comments: