Sunday, January 6, 2008

End of the Holidays

Time passes when you least expect it. It has been 20 days since I left Japan. With a blink of an eye, Christmas and New Year's have gone by and I will be starting work after my winter break here in Macao. By now, most of the Christmas decorations have been taken down and street vendors prepare for the Chinese/Lunar New Year in February. As for me, I reckon my Christmas cards and poinsettia will be a permanent part of my apartment. Now, I have all my furniture delivered and the place do not look bad at all. What lacks is a TV to grace the living room and another potted plant or two.

I might slip into depression but I guess taking a walk out side (despite the haze and carbon monoxide) would do me some good. I have a good reason for retail therapy as there are still many things this apartment lacks. With the limited amount of cash I have left on me, I walked to Daiso (100yen store in Japan but most merchandise are sold at MOP10 here) and got myself some cute tableware. It felt good after returning to my apartment and setting up the table. With a little more stuff, my apartment feels less "show-room-like."

SA took me to Daiso yesterday. Seriously, one could reach anywhere by foot if they choose to brave the streets of Macao (to which I will not complain as I am giving myself a full month before ranting how much I hate this place. I need time to get to know this place before passing any comments in order to be fair.). Believe it or not, I could walk to China via the ZuHai boarder which is only less than 15 minutes away. SA mentioned that there is an underground shopping place right across the boarder but I need to be really good in bargaining; otherwise considered extremely stupid to pay the shop keepers for the displayed price. Another adventure coming? Let's see. I need to get over the shock of living here first.

No comments: