Friday, January 4, 2008

Hong Kong, HONG KONG!

It just occurred to me that this is possibly the first time ever that I travelled with friends. I do not recall any past experiences at this moment, but my trip to Hong Kong with SS and EC was the first adventure I had with friends in sharing a hotel, meals, and went exploring together. I am truly blessed to have friends like them. Their visit helped me put the new year into perspective, and helped me understand and settle into Macao and Hong Kong better.

The dynamic duo arrived at the Macao airport on the 29th and we moved on to the ferry terminal to Hong Kong the same morning, sharing breakfast together on the ferry. EC, the best planner I know came up with a fun filled itinerary for Hong Kong. We checked into a local inn/motel at Mongkok and we caught up while trying to see the local sights.

For me, I only know a very few spots in Hong Kong. My keenest interest was a visit to the Peninsular hotel. I was not disappointed as it was simply amazing. Upon our arrival, we went immediately to the "Wong Tai Sien" temple as EC and SS wanted to pray for blessings and having their fortunes told as it is a really old and famous temple for such. We then checked out the Tsim Sa Tsui area, Arena of the Stars, the Peninsular hotel and walked back to Mongkok with a shopping spree at Temple Street. The next day, we covered Lantau Island, a stop at Tung Chung's Outlet mall, slightly let down by the facade of Hong Kong DisneyLand, and shopped more at "Women's Street" and "Sport Shoes Street" in the Mongkok area.

On New Year's Eve, we covered Stanley where I enjoyed the beautiful bay area, having my rather pricey cake and coffee looking at the sea and the luxurious housing. There was more shopping to be done at the local fare, and after lunch, we went to Central checking out the down town city scene. We also visited the peak and took many pictures there before hanging out at Lan Kwai Fong to usher in the New Year. The crowds were massive. We were lucky to find a spot to stand just next to the main street as we sipped cheap beer bought from the street vendor watching the cops comb through the crowds. (It was unfortunate that we did not hang out in the bars due to the expensive New Year Eve's cover charge, but there were some perks of doing what we did as Hong Kong policemen are not bad looking at all.) After 3 hours of standing around, we did a few wolf cries during the countdown and made out way back to Mongkok for supper with a friend. The next morning was a rather lazy one as we had breakfast and did some last minute shopping before taking the ferry back to Macao.

Our trip to Hong Kong was a food fest and cultural enlightenment for me. We tried almost everything the girls had in mind, from "yum-char" to the local food stores, trying the "smelly bean-curd" to sampling roasted pork and goose at the shop visited by Anthony Bourdain. I had 3 full meals again with many snacks in between. The amount of food consumed in our 3 days in Hong Kong was more than what I have eaten on my own in Macao for 10 days. (As you see, there is nothing to worry as my friends do know how to take care of me.) Even though I am of a different belief, I enjoyed our first visit to the "Wong Tai Sien" temple and the huge Buddha at Lantau Island. It was refreshing to see my cultural heritage and share the excitement of my friends in having their fortunes told. Visiting the Buddha brought back memories of what was learned in Eastern Thought as I appreciated the art form of the statues and sculptures in relating them to what I know. Although I did not participate in the worship practices of SS and EC, I had a blast taking pictures for them.

We were tired throughout the few days and although we had our very little and few annoyances, they were easily cured by good food, shopping, and for yours truly, Krispy Kreme Dougnuts! (I had my first dougnut and coffee from this place and I was not dissapointed. I would put it above my liking for Starbucks Coffee for now.) By the time we reached Macao we took everything really slow. In the 24 hours my visitors had left, we covered more shopping and picture taking at the Senado Square, St. Paul's Ruins, and visited the Venetian the next day before sampling a very expensive Portugese lunch at "Dumbo."

Although exhasuted, I enjoyed my time with the dynamic duo. They might not know it but I have learned a lot from them in the past few days and came to accept that it is my prejudices against Macao that is not making my settling here any easier. I have showed them my favoroite place in Macao which is the fountain in front of Wynn in the evening, and the Square early morning before the crowd comes in. Their short stay has created a few good memories of the place that will make Macao bearable for the next few months.

Thank you, girls. Your visit has done wonders for me. I hope that many more would come visit me to help me come to like Macao. The invitation is open and I will do my best to make my apartment as inviting as possible. Do visit me if you have the chance, ok?

(Pictures will be uploaded as soon as I get them from the lovely ladies. Stay tuned.)

No comments: