Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Macao Complaints (1)

Macao, Macao... Why do I dislike this place? Allow me to start from the basic.

Forsaking all the luxuries of life, we find our necessities in the air we breathe and the water we drink. I have an extremely sensitive nose due to my sinus(es) and I need fresh air whenever and wherever I can get it. Sad to say I doubt that anyone could actually find fresh air over here. There are hardly any significant patches of green that can absorb the industrial pollution from China. There are hardly any clear days. AO mentioned absolute clarity and visibility only occurs 5 to 6 times a year. Since buses and taxis are the main form of public transport over here, the level of carbon monoxide is terrible. The road stinks day and night from the exhaust fumes. I have trained myself to breathe only when necessary whenever I venture outdoors. There is nothing pleasant about the sea air as it reeks of a polluted dock. CL commented about my gym routine, concerned that I might be bored staying inside with the machines. "I would die if I exercise outside. The air will literally kill me." I have prepared myself with masks. The air is much better indoors; thus, I spend most of my time at the office, my apartment, and the gym.

Drinkable water is another important factor to make a place habitable. I tried boiling water during my stay at the hotel during my first week here. I tried again not long after I moved into my current apartment. Barely consumable, the water was nasty! I remembered the hard water I had in London, and the muddy/fishy taste like water from Shanghai, the water here was just as bad. SA mentioned that it is not too bad. There are seasons when the tap water will be extremely salty. (What?) I guess I will stick to bottled water. Yes, I have to pay for drinkable water.

Public sanitary and hygiene over here is rather sad too. Even though Macao is not considered as a third world country anymore, but the cleanliness here share the same standards with countries which names compared with would be an insult to them. I do give credit to the city for they have cleaners trying to keep visible filth away. However, I have discovered that public trash cans, dried up fountains, and vessels of any sort are used in various ways. For those who think they have some decency would actually use them to dispose their trash, cigarette butts, and (here comes) their loogers (a.k.a. SPIT)!

People spit everywhere. Seriously, people spit A LOT over here. I would say they lack manners. social etiquette and hygiene but that is what they do. Just taking a brief walk on a street, within 30 seconds you would see someone spitting. And it is done everywhere, even the more modern part of Macao. It grosses me out to see patches of "stuff" along the street; however, what absolutely disgusts me is the sound people make just before they spit. "Khhhhhaaaaaackt-ptooi!!!" Men, women, boys, and even girls do it. It is like they have to clear their throat, nose, and whatever that joins them with all their might before the grand action of spitting. GROSS!!! I know there are people of other cultures who spit, but I definitely do not recall cowboys or baseball players giving an audible introduction before the send one out of their mouth.

Well, maybe it is the polluted air that lodges residue in the throat and could not be flushed down by drinking fluids... Apart from that, I simply do not understand.

No comments: