Thursday, January 17, 2008

Macao Month Milestone (Yep... it has been a month)

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."- Matthew 22:37-39

Today marks a month since the day I left Japan and set foot in Macao. Ever since the beginning I have found it difficult to like the place. The environment is not the only thing that bothers me, I have a strong dislike for the people too. However, I was reminded at church on Sunday of the commandments that my faith rests upon. It is not about me, but loving God and obeying His commandments. God created everything and it was good. Macao is a part of His creation too. But when man has fallen to sin, the consequences led to the corruption of everything perfect and good. Macao could have been beautiful in history, but it was the fallen nature of men that ruined it all. And when I am called to love God, it includes everything He created and hold close to His heart. This covers Macao, China, and the people who I find difficult to cope with over here. I am to love all these with my heart, mind, soul, and strength. Strength is included as it is not an easy task, and to love something one may not like is tiring to all aspects of the human capacity. But yet, I strive, and will continue to do so.

I am a person who tends to over exercises my mind in thinking things out. I wish to understand for it gives meaning to the situation at hand, and I will find it easier to respect and love, even though I might not agree or like it. I often see myself coming up with the most possible explanation according to logic and practicality in finding the essence of the "why." I get upset when the answer that lies behind the question is totally illogical, incomprehensible, and yet, people still abide to such thoughts and practices to their detriment. (Maybe I am looking too much for the ideal, and often think that if I could come up with an argument like such, there should be others out there who sees it too.)

Many would say "You just need to adapt, or get used to it." "It is just coping with the grey aspects of culture and environmental differences." "It is not wrong, just different." Could that be the final say to it? Maybe, only if I can figure out the logic to it, such actions might be considered acceptable but I do not think I would actually adapt, assimilate, and embrace certain practices of Macao as my own. I have tasted honey and I choose not to use sugar anymore if I can help it.

With this, let the criticism begin. (Note: I am criticizing life in Macao because I believe there is good among all the bad I see. Let it be a journey of learning and understanding as I scrutinize every aspect in order to be fair.)

No comments: