Saturday, January 5, 2008

Come on... You have got to be kidding me!

The trio who visited Hong Kong last week was surprised to find people slim and lanky in the city popular known for its good food. The population has a wide spread of local food within a stone's throw and seem to be eating even until 4 in the morning. Having eaten some of the local cuisine which is rather similar to Macao, I would say that these people love their pork. (Well, I guess with the avian flu on the rampage some time back, people still have their reservations in their choice of poultry.) Nevertheless, with the amount of food available to the Hong Kong and Macao people, it is a wonder that all of them are not fat, and for the young female, stick thin.

I have the privilege to join a gym where I try to go there as often as possible. I thought that most of the young females would be here to maintain their figure in lieu of their food intake, but that was not the case. I have only seen a handful of young women in the gym whereas the majority who flock in the changing rooms are plump ladies from their 40's onwards. I have seen them whaling around in front of the sauna area and it was not a pretty sight.

So, how do the young females manage to stay thin? I am often in wonder as I look at these girls around me. Well, to my knowledge, some of them are really picky with what they eat, or consume only a small portion of food. But I do believe that education in every form do effect a person's behavior. The mass media has generally brainwashed the public about being thin means beautiful. What surprises me most is when a parent tells their kid to stop eating because she might become fat. I encountered this when I was on the bus the other day. Come on, that girl is no where near plump or chubby. In fact, I would like her to have a little more flesh on her tiny frame.

As for myself, I do share the same position as 95% of the women population of the world who is not satisfied with the way they look. However, I would not go to the extreme to starve myself in order to fulfill the popular definition of being pretty. I fear to get on the scale, but I know exactly which part of my body I would like reduced and toned. With the right diet and regular exercise regime, I think I could be easily satisfied. In the meantime, I will just focus on maintaining what I like about myself and work on vanishing those chubby bits.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Erm, do you know hor, these girls actually stayed thin by sticking their finger down their throat.

We knew of a girl who frequents the restaurant I used to work in who did it.

Honestly why even bother, such a disrespect to food!

suemae said...

Well, I actually heard a girl in the act in Japan. It was a sad sight as she needed to psyche herself up for the courage to puke. Poor girl. Why torture oneself?

Suzanne said...

Wow(!) in full view?!