Sunday, February 17, 2008

The 2nd Month

Yep, today marks the 2nd month I have been in Macao. Part of me would like to say "Man! Time flies!" but there is a part of me that goes "My gosh! It has been like forever and it is ONLY 2 months???" Well, I guess it goes hand-in-hand with how I feel of late, all mixed up.

I guess I have shared a good deal of my whines and complaints about the place. Maybe it is time to whip out that really short list about what I do like about this place. Be it a location, an activity, or something to eat, these are the few things I do enjoy.
  • Wynn Macao. I would consider this as my favorite place to go to. I have liked this place since my very short visit last year in March. Apart from the fancy interior and the only Japanese restaurant that is palatable to my taste outside Japan, I do enjoy the fountain show in the evening from the angle of having the Macao Tower as a back drop and the Grand Lisboa on the right. The music and spits of fireballs make it rather awesome. Also, it houses the closest Starbucks that I can gain access to according to my convenience.
  • Senado Square and the Ruins of Saint Paul's Cathedral in the early morning or during evenings when the crowds of tourists are not there. This area is dotted with old buildings that reflect Portuguese heritage and art. Minus the air and sound polution from the crowd, I could spend hours just sitting there enjoying the view with a cup of Starbucks in my hand.
  • Egg tarts. I love this snack/desserts ever since I was a little girl and I could have it any time of the day. They have the original Chinese plain egg tarts and the Portuguese ones with caramel. They are GOOOOOOOD. (I hardly have them though. I think I only had 3 in my 2 months here.)
  • The Office and My Workmates. They rock and we have so much fun together. Everyone is straight-forward and honest. We work individually so there is nothing in common to trigger off messy work politics, but everyone is supportive and encouraging in many ways. The office facilities are not too bad either.
  • 7-11. Although it is nowhere near the standards of a convenient store in Japan (in service, cleanliness, products carried...) but I do like the ready to eat hot snacks they have. They have the local version of ใŠใงใ‚“ and Chinese savoury snacks such as glutinous rice, fish balls, chinese dumplings, hot sharks' fin soup, etc. They are reasonably priced and having any two servings of the above is filling enough for a meal that cost 2/3 of what food shops and restaurant are charging. They are considerably yummy to my taste. The store also provides an acceptable variety to microwavable meals of a reasonable price and portion.

Yeah, I guess that is about it for now. So, a least I am still able to mention something good about this place (even though it has very little to do with Macao as a whole, or does it?).

No comments: