Sunday, February 3, 2008

Could it GET any colder?

It is getting surprisingly cold over here. I have spent winters in Japan when tempreatures drop to -5C, but I would say that I am spending my coldest winter ever here in Macao.

Before my move, I asked around and someone told me that it never gets cold in Macao, after all, it is considered to share Southeast Asian climate. "It would probably get cold in the peak of winter, but that would be around 12 degrees for the maximum of 2 days." News reports and weather forecasts has been announcing that the region has reached the coldest ever in the recent 7 years of less than 8C and the length of close to 2 weeks. I know it is getting too cold for me when I am sleeping bundled up with sweaters and throws, and when I can see my breath when I am indoors. The main difference in dealing with the cold over here is that I do not have any form of heating or insulation. There is no "culture" to fire up the central heating, switch the air-conditioner to warm up the room, sitting around a kotatsu, etc when the mercury drops below 15C. Mmm, all I can think of that might warm me up is having o-nabe, fondue, or Chinese "fire pot" to keep me comfortable from the inside. In fact, I am tempted to go buy a down jacket!

Finally, the ice-queen is seated in her chilly throne room. People seem to be surprised when "cold" was my answer to "how are you?" I even have a few guys using the opportunity to be smart, "Don't you have a boyfriend to keep you warm?" Oh please... I guess I need someone to explain to me whether questions relating to the other half is a common topic for first time conversations with strangers. What happened to the good old focus around interests or work? Are people that desparate to meet someone just for the sake of dating them? Is there no place for "let's start off as friends"? There is no one to officially commit to the title of "boyfriend," but maybe I should just answer "yes" for the sake of convenience when being chatted up by the aforementioned people. The ice-queen speaks "Whomsoever asks the question 'Do you have a boyfriend?' in the first instance would have his chances of ever seeing me in person destroyed, lest he is able to tactfully phrase the question." Let this be etched in ice.

No comments: