Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Boredom Buster

My mind has not been in its best shape of late. I see myself wandering off and the bored feeling has drilled itself into the marrows of my spirit a number of times over the last week. Being not in the mood to work then, what do I do during my long hours in front of the computer?

Apart teasing my addiction of playing online games and catching up with my anime series, I do fiddle around surfing the net when I am not in the mood for blogging. Below are the list of things the bunny enjoys.

1. Google maps. "Brushing up on my geography" would be my excuse, but have you actually played around with this site and its features before? Apart from researches on places, I am amazed by the satellite images provided. I can see all the places I have been to and will be heading to. Zooming in as close as possible allows me to see as much as the airspace allowance given to these satellites. You can tease all you want, but I do enjoy the occasional fun of playing "Where's (location)?"

2. Reading. There is so much information at the touch of one's fingertips! You can Google-up almost anything under the sun. Wikipedia is another favorite site of mine. Just today, as I was eating breakfast, I was compelled to do a search on "century eggs." I enjoy a good bowl of congee/rice porridge (if is it not prepared by mom. She comes up with the weirdest ingredients and condiments that are not necessarily complementary to each other.) especially Century egg and Lean Pork congee (皮蛋瘦肉粥) that is very popular around this region. The urge of looking it up this morning was just to satisfy my curiosity whether century eggs are produced by dipping them the by-product of horses. Find out yourself! Hehehee...

3. Listening to readings, news and speeches. I remember my parents bought my sisters and I some books or magazines that came with cassettes when we were kids. I enjoyed listening to the stories as I read along silently tracing my finger on the text. During my English teaching days, I do encourage my students to such audio method to improve on their pronunciation, enunciation, speed, and intonation. I still practice this too. Years ago, a professor commented that she liked the way I read. Encouraged by that, I give credit to the free materials available that helped me a lot in improving my language skills.

The above are pretty much what I do use the Internet for. Occasionally, I do window shop around for good bargains, but it has been a while since I actually bought something. So, yeah, there is quite a lot to do staying online all day; nevertheless, I would choose the option of actually going somewhere doing something if possible.

No comments: