Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Screaming Helps

There are a very few things that do strike my fancy here in Macao, without a doubt they make it to my VERY short list of "My Macao Favorites/Likes." I guess right now, I would put people I work with at the Macao office at the top 3 of my list. We are a small group of 7 but share a really big work space. Since most of us work independently, the office is more like a common vicinity which we turn it into a playground every once in a while.

Last night, we hit the karaoke right after work for a night of fun in lieu of the Lunar New Year celebrations. Although it turned out to be more costly than expected, we ate, drank, sang, dance, and laughed the night away. The party animals were unleashed without supervision and if videos and pictures were taken, they would fetch a very high price for the purpose of blackmail. We have our very own karaoke queens with lovely voices, and did manage to hear a few voices (and sounds) that were never heard made before. Now I finally understand why BY carries such a huge bag around. She was the hero of my evening. She provided a really superb night with an amazing list of chosen songs, her performances, and equipped us well with cute tambourines and maracas. We covered almost every genre of song from Chinese pop to boy bands from the west, J-pop to oldies, hard rock, and even, the Spice Girls! I was pretty amazed by the languages we covered too. However, I found out that YMCA, although a really fun song to sing at the karaoke with friends, the lyrics sounds just SO WRONG. I need to get my head out of the gutter, but come on... it is so XXX!

We spend around 5 hours enjoying ourselves in which, I believe, most of us have bleeding throats by the end of the second hour. We left just in time for SA and I to catch the nearly last bus home. Although it sure did not seem like a good idea to be partying right in the middle of the week, as most of us would not be able to do any calls today, but we also wished that we could have continued till daybreak. Amidst all the wolf cries, cheering, and singing our hearts out, I sure let out a great load of pent up emotions of the past week. Yep, screaming helps. I believe it is good therapy and since there are no roller coasters here and buddies for me to go with, karaoke will work. It made me miss the fun times shared with the guys back in Japan, but reminiscing those karaoke times spent sure lift up my spirits.
So, voiceless and a very sore throat I wish you a "Happy Valentine's Day!"

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Well, the song was probably right in those days but it is so wrong now...

I'm also not surprised that no one picked on that since it is such a dancy tune, that everyone just 'love' the song without realising the other meaning.

I think our minds are too corrupted now.

Or perhaps it just pick up things in another meaning very fast. >.<