Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ushering in the Year of the Rat

The East Asian Community officially ushers in the year of the Rat today.
For me, it will just be a 5 day weekend in my apartment.

Gaudy decorations adorn most of the commercial buildings and resident complexes. It was just over last weekend spring cleaning was carried out in the cold and colors of red and gold was literally spat everywhere. Spots where the many poinsettias where decked for Christmas were replaced with lime trees. And you definitely know that it is the Lunar New Year when all you can hear is the sound of firecrackers being set off constantly. (Man! I vividly remember that at midnight last night, the sound lasted about an hour with the reverberations setting off car alarms and were followed by sirens from either the police cars or fire trucks.)

I am sitting in front of the TV with my pc blogging while watching the Hong Kong Lunar New Year Celebration Broadcast that is aired every year. (I remember watching this every year as little girl at my grandparents’ after the whole immediate family visited the temple and the party hosted by the Chinese political party with my dad [he was rather active in it then] before the separation.) There are no decorations at my place, but since the theme of my living room is red and black, I guess it is well decorated for Christmas and the Lunar New Year. I love those Chinese walnut and almond cookies, and egg roll biscuits I had growing up, but since I get access to them regardless of season here in Macao, I am just snacking off Chips Ahoy right now. The festive songs on the TV do bring back memories. Man! It is either I miss those times or I am just really bored now.

Well, I should stop being a Scrooge and enjoy the festivities. Hmm, maybe I should head out to look for that down jacket, but the weather forecast said that the cold spell will last to the 6th day of the New Year. Should I? We’ll see. Anyways,
Have a happy and prosperous Year of the Rat filled with good health and happiness.

No comments: